Frozen Fuel Door - MazdaSpeeders.com

FMVPerformance.com is the premier Mazda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-26-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
Krupo
Le Mans: GT Class

Default Frozen Fuel Door

With cold weather whipping its way in, my car got its first taste of snow and ice.

So much ice, that my fuel door froze itself shut!

Fortunately I still had lots of gas in the tank and after pulling the release lever another 3 times, the door managed to 'unstick' itself. I found a bit of ice built up at the top and bottom of the fuel door, sealing it lightly. I imagine some hot water or anti-freeze solution would've loosened it if it had been an uglier situation.

But it was a freakish thing to encounter.

Has anybody else encountered a frozen fuel door?
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2005, 10:39 AM   #2
bossboy
F1 Driver

Default Re: Frozen Fuel Door

last two years in my civic. frozen shut. had to blowdryer it and hot water it. no antifreeze avail....was at home. Basically I had a sheet of ice over my entire car, and apparently there was ice and yes...snow???!?!?! behind my fuel door sitting there.

When i got to the gas station, I had a bit of trouble opening my fuel cap.

Haven't experienced with the 3 yet....be interesting to see what we get lol. Its like a fricken new adventure here in NS. The weather is so unpredictable. If you have heard of the jokes about you can't predict the weather here, in the span of 10 minutes it can potentially change drastically....well its true. we sit in a bad spot. smack in the middle of a few jet and air streams. meh. im no weather man.

btw, ive personally never used antifreeze on a door before, so i am not sure of the effects it will have on the paint. keep that in mind. i think a hair blowdryer would be your safest solution....might take a few mins tho.
Bossboy's Old Mazda3 Picture thread
Bossboy's Two Tone Paint Progress
bossboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
Krupo

By anti-freeze I meant windshield wiper juice, which I imagine has something like antifreeze in it, eh?

I'm sure it wouldn't affect the car since it dribbles off the windows all the time - I wonder with they put in it? Alcohol or something like that? I imagine it's not abrasive, anyway.

If I didn't have a blowdrier, or access to hot water, I'd figure it would be my best bet since I usually have a jug of it in the trunk.
Old 12-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
sachan78
Moped Rider

Hey,

We just encountered a frozen fuel door situation. We pulled on the lever a few times and got it to pop open but now we can't shut it...any ideas???...it won't lock back into place...
sachan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:38 AM   #5
Krupo

I assume you checked to make sure the latch/closure area is free of ice or any other blockage?

If that's not the problem, is the spring that holds it closed broken? Maybe a trip to your dealer is in order. Good luck!
Old 12-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #6
BigTrucker
F1 Driver

When my fuel door froze up on my previous cars I just smacked the fuel door a couple of times and usually the ice broke free. Just make sure not to pound it as you dont want to dent it.

[quote author=sachan78 link=topic=34440.msg498281#msg498281 date=1133675290]
We just encountered a frozen fuel door situation. We pulled on the lever a few times and got it to pop open but now we can't shut it...any ideas???...it won't lock back into place...
[/quote]
Like Krupo said, there is probably some ice blocking the latch and you may have to dig it out. Would maybe a car wash work to get all the ice melted off?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
Krupo

Those ideas make sense too.

BTW, I'm curious, what's up with UPS?

Edit: never mind, I just noticed http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=34783.0
Old 12-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #8
BigTrucker
F1 Driver

Ya, I hate 'em
Advertisement

MazdaSpeeders.com > Regional > Canada